Sunday, April 5, 2009

Elementary or Secondary?


I never thought this question would enter into my mind. Should I take elementary education or secondary education. Ever since I was a freshman in high school my mind had been firmly set on Secondary education. I adore several of my high school teachers, and one of them in particular had influenced me a lot in my teen years, of course I will take secondary in college. As I entered college in September, I spent little thought of what I would take. My mind was made up; I would be taking secondary education-no doubt about it. I just had to decide what my major and minor would be. I absolutely love Speech! But I also absolutely adore Science. I was forced to choose one or the other. You see Science and Math can not be separated. If I wanted to major or minor in Science, Math had to be with it. Therefor I couldn't have both of my interests. So I chose History and Speech. All went well first semester. I was confident in my decision. But now I am in doubt for a few reasons...

1. Biological Issues. You may wonder what this has to do with anything. You see this course that I am taking this semester, has stirred up my love for science. I have realized how much I really love Science and would thoroughly enjoy coming up with experiments etc..for a class. I can't ignore it...my interest in Science greatly overpowers history.
2.Wee Care Child Development Center. I realized I love small kids. One of reasons I steered clear of elementary education was quite frankly because I didn't really like being with kids. I would rather teach teenagers who at least are advancing adulthood. However, now every day after college courses I go work with "my kids." I find myself sitting anxiously in my History or Government classes, waiting for the bell to ring so I can go talk with my little kids. Yes, work has definitely changed me. Children used to seriously get on my nerves. Now, just thinking of "my kids" bring a smile to my face. How could I spend my life away from small kids.
3.Sunday School. This year I also get the opportunity to work in the 4 year old Sunday School Class, under a great teacher. Through watching the teacher, I have learned how to properly deal with young children. I have gotten so much better at dealing with those "bad kids" who just can't or won't cooperate.

So as you can tell I am in quite the predicament. I am thinking I may switch college course to Elementary Education. Then I would be able to teach Science, along with all those fun experiments. But I would also take all the available Speech courses. I don't have to minor in it... Then, I could have both of "my loves"- Science and Speech. I still have a lot of praying and thinking to do before I switch over. So please pray with me that I make the right decision. Elementary or Secondary, that tis the question?

2 comments:

  1. That is a very tough decision to make. I absolutely love little kids,and I know that through learning every subject I will be able to everything to further my service in the ministry. Secondary is just focusing in on 1 or 2 subjects whereas Elemantary you get it all at once. I will be praying for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obviously a bit partial to younger kids :-) That will probably change in about 11 years! Either way you can't go wrong. You will do a great job teaching/mentoring/caring for any age group you choose. I just have a feeling :-) Thanks for checking in on our crazy blog now and then!

    ReplyDelete